End Date: November 12, 2021
Starts in: -26 Days
Event Location: Nairobi
Training Fees: USD 1,276.00
See Future Events: Data Science and Analytics, Mobile Data Collection, Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Data Science, QGIS, KoBoToolBox, ODK, ODK-X
ODK or Open Data Kit is a set of free and open-source tools that are used for field data collection using Android mobile phones (Devices)and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. The ODK – Open Data Kit ecosystem includes the following components: ODK Collect, ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate, ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers and the ODK Sensor Framework.
The other tools that were inspired by the ODK ecosystem include but not limited to: Kobo tool box which is also free and open source, Ona.io and Survey CTO which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will focus on the popularly used free and open source tools for mobile data collection but will also give a mention to the other mobile data collection tools available.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) have always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection and M&E.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with additional M&E and GIS modules to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
Who should attend
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, that are typically employed as project managers and directors, M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to gather data for project/programme outcomes to stakeholders using innovative Mobile data gathering tools.
At the end of the course, you will become familiar with using ICT tools and methods to conduct data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
Introduction to the course
- M&E Refresher
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Introduction to common mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platform.
- Benefits of mobile data collection.
- Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
- Best Practices.
Introduction to Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Introduction to xlsforms syntax for survey authoring – Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Intermediate Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Intermediate survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Advanced Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Advanced survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
- Questionnaire logic.
- Xlsforms troubleshooting
- Converting xlsforms to XML
- XML forms validation
Survey Data Hosting
- Setting up an Apps Engine Account
- Setting up ODK aggregate server in a cloud server.
- Setting up ODK Collect for Mobile data collection.
- Uploading XML forms to ODK Aggregate
- Hosting platform quota management.
- Data Visualization and analysis on ODK Aggregate.
- Downloading/extracting data from ODK Aggregate for analysis.
- Mobile device calibration for data collection.
- Managing data collection in the field
Mobile Data Collection Using KoBoToolbox
- How to digitize questionnaires using an easy web-based interface.
- Hosting data on KoBoToolbox.
- Setting up KoBo Collect for mobile data collection.
- Mobile device calibration for data collection.
- Visualizing and analyzing data on KoBoToolbox.
- Downloading/extracting data for analysis.
Module V (GIS)
- Introduction to GIS
- Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
- Introduction to Fusion Table
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
- Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
- Converting data to shape files
- Choice of Platform
- Discussion on the Choice of Platform
- Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprise of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 (0) 729166479
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure