End Date: January 22, 2021
Starts in: 0 Days
Event Location: Nairobi
Training Fees: USD 1,276.00
See Future Events: Data Science and Analytics,Mobile Data Collection,Data Analysis,Data Visualization,Data Science,ONA
Ona is a set of tools that are used for field data collection using Android mobile phones (Devices) and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. These tools include Ona Form Builder, XLSForms, Ona Cloud-based survey data hosting, Enketo Forms for web-based data collection, and ODK Collect for the data collection on Android mobile devices.
Ona is part of a larger collection of mobile data collection tools that were inspired by the ODK Open Rosa Consortium. The other too include ODK Collect,ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate, and ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers, and the ODK Sensor Framework.
Other tools that were inspired by the ODK ecosystem including but not limited to KoboToolbox which is also free and open-source, Ona.io, and Survey CTO which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visit basis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will teach learners how to author surveys, field mobile data collection applications, and submit data to an online server in Ona.io. The course will also mention the other mobile data collection tools available.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize, and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage, and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with an additional GIS module to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for people who want to learn how to:
- Author/Digitize surveys in Ona
- Author/Digitize surveys in XLSForms
- Set up an account in Ona.io
- Get familiar with the Ona platform
- Collect data on Mobile devices using the Ona Platform
- Collect data on any web browser
- Setup, manage and administer a mobile data collection system in Ona.io
- Manage external/enumerators
- Learn and apply best practices in mobile data collection setup and administration
- Collect Geodata and develop maps using QGIS
- Manage, visualize and analyze data on the Ona platform
- Extract/export data from Ona in useful formats such as KML, CSV, JSON, and others for analysis
- Learn how to consume the Ona API external applications.
- Learn about other similar mobile data collection tools and technologies
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The course will teach learners how to implement a mobile data collection platform using ona.io.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to set up, implement, manage, and administer a mobile data collection application using the ona.io platform and develop maps using QGIS. Additionally, learners will be exposed to other available mobile data collection platforms.
Introduction to the course
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Introduction to common mobile-based data collection tools, techniques, and platforms.
- Benefits of mobile data collection.
- Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
- Best Practices.
Introduction to Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Introduction to xlsforms syntax for survey authoring – Digitizing questionnaires/instruments for Ona using xlsforms.
Intermediate Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Intermediate survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for Ona using xlsforms.
Advanced Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Advanced survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
- Questionnaire logic.
- Xlsforms troubleshooting
- Converting xlsforms to XML
- XML forms validation
Survey Authoring Using the Ona Form Builder
Data Collection, management, visualization, analysis, and extraction using ona
- Device setup and calibration
- Data management using ona.io
- Data visualization using ona.io
- Data analysis using ona.io
- Maps in ona.io
- Extracting/Exporting data for analysis
- Platform administration
Module V (GIS)
- Introduction to GIS
- Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
- Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
- Converting data to shapefiles
- Developing maps
Discussion on the Choice of Platform
Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using their own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through the bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure