Training Date: June 12, 2023 - June 16, 2023
Training Venue: Nairobi
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, this task was performed with paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
Advances in information technology have opened exciting new avenues for how research is conducted and mobile data collection is done.
Instead of collecting data on paper using a pen, which is then manually entered into a database for analysis, data is entered directly into a mobile device that is connected to a server and capable of uploading directly into a centralized database for data processing and analysis.
KoboToolbox is a free and open source platform for the collection, management, and visualization of data.
As the most widely used primary data collection tool in the nonprofit sector, it is the tool of choice for over 14,000 social impact organizations worldwide.
It is an intuitive tool for producing high quality data in challenging settings—making it the software of choice for countless organizations.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and, analyze data using mobile devices and KoBoToolbox, this training course is for you.
KoboToolbox was made with the needs of field practitioners in mind. It is extremely user friendly and accessible, making it easy to get started quickly. It works offline, on any device.
Most importantly, all its core functionalities are free to use, forever.
Here are some of the reasons why organizations choose KoBoToolbox:
- KoboToolbox was created to be intuitive to use, so organizations can collect high quality data without devoting resources to technical training.
- It was built specifically for the unique needs of collecting data in challenging settings, such as humanitarian crises and conflict-affected countries.
- KoboToolbox was designed for offline use and for inexpensive mobile devices—while still providing advanced functionalities for data management and visualization.
- Its tools are free for social impact organizations to create an unlimited number of surveys and collect quality data.
- KoboToolbox was built to be compatible with the XLSForm standard and ODK XForms, making it easy to migrate between different platforms.
- Its tools are multilingual and survey forms can be translated into hundreds of languages, making it easy to work with global teams.
- Survey forms can be translated and used in hundreds of different languages.
Who should attend?
This training course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to collect, manage, visualize, and, analyze data using mobile devices and KoBoToolbox.
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English. No prior knowledge of KoBoToolbox is required.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to design, set up, and administer a mobile data collection platform using KoBoToolbox.
Topics to be Covered
- Essentials for beginners
- Data collection and data management
- Advanced survey form development/authoring
- Collect data offline or online, on any device
- Collect data using an Android app or a web browser
- Survey data hosting
- Review and validate data in real-time
- Visualize data with custom maps and reports
- Connecting with external application for analysis, visualizations, and dashboards (PowerBI, Excel, Google Sheets)
- Survey planning, implementation, publishing, data visualization, and analysis
- Download data in XLS, CSV, KML, ZIP, or GeoJSON
- Easily scale projects, for dozens or millions of respondents
- Introduction to Mobile Data Collection
- Benefits of Mobile Based Data Collection
- Challenges facing Mobile Based Data Collection and their work arounds.
- Best Practices
Introduction to KoBoToolbox.
Form Authoring/development using the KoBotoolbox form builder
- Types of questions.
- Data types for each question.
- Questionnaire logic.
- Digitizing/building forms/survey authoring using KoBoToolbox.
- Deploying forms.
Device calibration (Mobile Phones/Tablets)
- KoBoCollect installation and configuration.
- Downloading forms into the mobile devices.
- Collecting data using KoBoCollect
Survey data hosting
- Uploading survey data to KoBoToolbox
- The Kobotoolbox server/survey data hosting platform
Introduction to basic XLSForm syntax for survey authoring
- New data types.
- Notes and dates.
- Multiple choice Questions.
- Multiple Language Support.
- Hints, metadata and more.
- Conditional Survey Branching.
- Required questions
- Constraining responses
- Skip: Asking Relevant questions
- The specify (other)
- Grouping questions.
- Skipping many questions at once (Skipping a section). Etc
- Extended data types geoid, image and multimedia
Advanced Survey Authoring using XLSForm syntax
- Repeating a set of questions.
- Special formatting.
- Making dynamic calculations.
- Survey Styling and formatting
- Form validation
- Troubleshooting common syntax errors
Data Management, analysis and visualization using
- Data Analysis and Visualization using the KoBoToolbox interface
Connecting External applications for data visualization and analysis
- Google Sheets
This instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English.
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued a certificate of participation.
Training is residential and will be held at Tech For Development Training Centers.
Participants will cater for their travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
This course can also be tailor-made for you. This way, you will benefit by:
- Using own tools and datasets during training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For inquiries, please contact us through the details below:
Email: [email protected]
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT.
The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development account through the bank on or before the course starting date.
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement may lead to changes in topics and course structure