Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, this task was performed with paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course in ONA and KoBoToolbox is for you. Other tools include ODK, SurveyCTO, CS Pro, Magpi etc
Who Should Attend
This mobile data collection course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, that are typically employed as project managers and directors, Monitoring & Evaluation specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The training course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to gather data for project/program outcomes to stakeholders using innovative Mobile data gathering tools.
At the end of the course, you will become familiar with using ICT tools and methods to conduct data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Introduction to KoBoToolbox and Ona
- Types of questions
- Data types for each question.
- Questionnaire logic
Survey Authoring using KoBoToolbox and Ona web Form builders
- Introduction to survey authoring
Advanced survey authoring
- Single/Multiple response questions
- Repeat questions
- Skip logic and patterns
- Group questions
- Data referencing
- Cascading select
Survey data hosting
- Survey data hosting using KoBoToolbox
- Survey data hosting using Ona
- Account management and setting in KoBoToolbox
- Account management and setting in Ona
Data management and analysis
- Data Analysis and Visualization using KoBoToolbox
- Data Analysis and Visualization using Ona
- Notes and dates.
- Multiple-choice Questions.
- Multiple Language Support.
- Hints, metadata, and more.
- Conditional Survey Branching.
- Required questions
- Constraining responses
- Skip: Asking Relevant questions
- The specify (other)
- Grouping questions.
- Skipping many questions at once (Skipping a section)
- Repeating a set of questions.
- Special formatting.
- Making dynamic calculations.
- Survey Styling and formatting – Working with the appearance column.
- Working with media files.
- Cascading select
- External selects
- KoBoCollect installation and configuration.
- ODK Collect installation and configuration.
- Downloading forms into mobile devices.
- Collecting data using KoBoCollect and ODK Collect
- Introduction to GIS
- Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
- Introduction to Fusion Table
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
- Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
- Converting data to shapefiles
- Choice of Platform
- Discussion on the Choice of Platform
- Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to email@example.com
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection, Analysis, And Mapping Using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In ODK-X For Longitudinal Data Collection, Management, And Analysis
- Training Course In Installation Use And Management Of Data Using Open HDS And ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection Using CSEntry – CSPro
- Training Course In Nutrition Assessment And Survey Using ENA/ EPI INFO
- Training Course In OpenMRS
- Training Course In RapidPro
- Training Course In Survey Data Collection Using REDCap
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection And Mapping For M&E And Scientists
- What is Mobile Data Collection
- What is Open Data Kit – ODK