Despite all efforts undertaken both nationally and internationally, poor nutritional status is still a fundamental cause of most non-communicable diseases and shortened life-span. The nutritional assessment and survey is done to obtain information about the prevalence and geographic distribution of nutritional disorders within a community or a specified population group. It can also be used to identify high-risk groups and to assess the role of different epidemiological factors in nutritional deficiency.
There are mainly two software programs used in nutrition assessments and surveys; ENA and EpiInfo. ENA analytical program has automated functions for sample size calculations, sample selection, quality checks, standardization for anthropometry measurements, and report generation with automatic analyses. It facilitates survey planning, data collection, analysis, and reporting with the ability to generate automatic standard tables and graphs for anthropometric indices and plausibility check reports. On the other hand, EpiInfo contains a module for making questionnaires and has much more sophisticated statistical functions. The two software can also be combined to ENA/EpiInfo software which combines the advantages of both systems.
Who Should Attend?
This is an intermediate course targeting participant with basic knowledge of Nutrition. It is recommended to project officers implementing nutrition projects, researchers, epidemiologists,s and students.
This course is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts. No prior experience in ENA or Epi Info is required.
By the end of the training, participants should be able to:
- Understand the importance of nutrition assessments and survey
- Understand the basic anthropometric techniques application and reference standards
- Gain a general knowledge on how to install and work with ENA software
- Gain a general knowledge on how to install and work with EpiInfo software
- Program data entry forms
- Produce automated analyses of key mortality and nutrition indicators
- Conduct automated plausibility and data quality checks
- Generate reports that include results of these automated analyses.
- Install and work with ENA/EpiInfo Software
Module 1: Introduction
- Definition of terms
- Purpose of nutritional assessment and survey
- Methods of nutritional assessment
- Anthropometric and malnutrition
Module 2: Introduction to ENA Software
- Installation of the software
- Survey planning using ENA
- Data collection using ENA
- Data analysis and reporting using ENA
- Quality and credibility check
Module 3: Introduction of EpiInfo Software
- Installation of the software
- Creating a questionnaire using EpiInfo
- Data entry using EpiInfo
- Basic Data Management and Analysis using EpiInfo
- Calculating Anthropometric Measures using EpiInfo
- Reading and writing different formats using EpiInfo
- Intermediate Data Management & Analysis using EpiInfo
Module 4: ENA/EpiInfo Software
- Introduction to ENA/EpiInfo software
- Installation of the software
- Advantages of ENA/EpiInfo
Module 5: Working With ENA/EpiInfo Software
- Creating a survey questionnaire from scratch
- Making a survey with the questionnaire template of ENA/EpiInfo software
- Entering data into the questionnaire
- Importing survey data from another software
- Automatic generation of the data quality report
- Automatic generation of the anthropometry graphs and survey report
- Settings of the program
- Survey planning and sample size calculation
- Training anthropometry exercise in ENA/EpiInfo
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection, Analysis, And Mapping Using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ONA And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In ODK-X For Longitudinal Data Collection, Management, And Analysis
- Training Course In Installation Use And Management Of Data Using Open HDS And ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection Using CSEntry – CSPro
- Training Course In OpenMRS
- Training Course In RapidPro
- Training Course In Survey Data Collection Using REDCap
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection And Mapping For M&E And Scientists
- What is Mobile Data Collection
- What is Open Data Kit – ODK