ODK or Open Data Kit is a set of free and open-source tools that are used for field data collection using Android mobile phones (Devices) and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. The ODK – Open Data Kit ecosystem includes the following components: ODK Collect, ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate, and ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers, and the ODK Sensor Framework.
The other tools that were inspired by the ODK ecosystem including but not limited to Kobotoolbox which is also free and open-source, Ona.io, and Survey CTO which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will focus on the popularly used free and open-source tools for mobile data collection but will also give a mention to the other mobile data collection tools available.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this ODK training course is for you.
Advances in information technology have opened exciting new avenues for how research is conducted and mobile data collection is done, with huge implications to monitoring and evaluation (M&E). One of these advances is the use of Mobile Data Collection (MDC). Instead of collecting data on paper using a pen, which is then manually entered into a database for analysis, data is input into a device that is then capable of exporting directly into a centralized database for data processing and analysis.
Mobile Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, this task was performed with paper and pen which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
Mobile data collection (MDC) tools and technologies such as mobile devices and software such as Open Data Kit (ODK) that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
Open data kit commonly referred to as ODK is a set of popular free and open-source tools that allow us to collect data using mobile devices.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze data using mobile devices, this training course is for you.
Who Should Attend
This training course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to collect and manage project data using mobile devices and Open Data Kit – ODK tools.
This course is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts. No prior knowledge of ODK is required.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to gather data for project/program outcomes to stakeholders using innovative Mobile data collection tools such as ODK and other implementations of the ODK technologies.
At the end of the course, you will be able to design a mobile data collection, analysis, and reporting platform using ODK.
Tools To Be Covered
What you will learn
By the end of the training the participants will be able to:
- Create survey forms using ODK Build or XLSForms
- Set up ODK Build, ODK Collect and ODK Aggregate
- Upload forms to an ODK Aggregate server
- Load forms into ODK Collect on an Android device
- Use ODK Collect for mobile data collection with field participants
- Upload survey data from ODK Collect to ODK Aggregate
- Export and Analyse data from ODK Aggregate
- ICT Refresher
- Introduction to Mobile Data Collection (MDC)
- Benefits of Mobile Data Collection (MDC)
- Challenges facing Mobile Data Collection and their workaround
- Introduction to the ODK ecosystem
- Introduction to basic ODK XLSForm syntax for survey authoring
Getting started – Survey authoring using ODK XLSForm
- Types of questions
- Data types for each question
- Types of questionnaire and Form logic
- Extended data types geoid, image, and multimedia
Form Validation and Conversion for ODK
- Converting XLSForm to xml forms using ODK xlsform(Online and Offline).
- ODK Validate for validating XML forms
- Troubleshooting common syntax errors
Device calibration (Mobile Phones/Tablets) – ODK Collect
- Introduction to ODK Collect
- ODK Collect installation and configuration
- Uploading forms into ODK Collect manually
- Downloading form into ODK Collect from ODK Aggregate server
- Hands-on Exercise
Hosting survey data (Online) – ODK Aggregate
- Introduction to Google app engine for ODK
- Introduction to ODK Aggregate
- ODK Aggregate – Download and setup
- ODK Aggregate administration and calibration
- Data analysis in ODK aggregate
Intermediate Survey Authoring for ODK
- New data types
- Notes and dates
- Multiple-choice Questions
- Multiple Language Support
- Hints, metadata, and more
- Conditional Survey Branching
- Required questions
- Constraining responses
- Skip: Asking Relevant questions
- The specify (other)
- Grouping questions.
- Skipping many questions at once (Skipping a section)
Advanced Survey Authoring for ODK
- Repeating a set of questions
- Special formatting
- Making dynamic calculations
- Survey Styling and formatting – Working with the appearance column
- Working with media files
- Cascading select
- External selects
- Conducting Longitudinal surveys
Form Design using web platforms
- KoBo ToolBox
- ODK Build
- Downloading data from ODK Aggregate
- Introduction to ODK Briefcase
- Download and setup ODK Briefcase
- ODK Briefcase calibration and administration
Presentation of course project by participants
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using their own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through the bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ONA And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In ODK-X For Longitudinal Data Collection, Management, And Analysis
- Training Course In Installation Use And Management Of Data Using Open HDS And ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection Using CSEntry – CSPro
- Training Course In Nutrition Assessment And Survey Using ENA/ EPI INFO
- Training Course In OpenMRS
- Training Course In RapidPro
- Training Course In Survey Data Collection Using REDCap
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection And Mapping For M&E And Scientists
- What is Mobile Data Collection
- What is Open Data Kit – ODK