(Rapid Electronic Data Capture)
REDCap is a web application for building and managing online surveys(data collection may be online or offline) and databases. This training course delineates many of the broader technical aspects of REDCap, such as the REDcap specific terms and vocabulary, infrastructure and third-party software required to host REDCap, details of its data storage model, user privileges, authentication options, logging and audit trails, data interoperability options with other systems, protective security measures, and best practices for hosting REDCap at your local institution.
REDcap is essentially a web application consisting of a set of tools that are used for field data collection either online or offline using web browsers or smartphone devices (android, iPad, and iPhones) and allows data submission to an online cloud server. These tools include REDcap Server, Data dictionary, online designer, and REDcap web-based data collection tool for online data collection using a web browser, among others.
REDcap is part of a large collection of mobile data collection tools such as ODK, SurveyCTO, Ona.io, and Magpi which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity, and KoboToolbox which is free and open source.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will teach learners how to author surveys, how to digitize survey data collection (including how to enhance data security), and how to submit data to an online REDcap server for storage, analysis, and further usage. The other mobile data collection tools available will be mentioned as well.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you.
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for people who want to learn how to:
- Learn and apply best practices in survey data collection setup and administration
- Setup a REDcap account
- Familiarize with the REDcap platform
- Author/Digitize surveys using REDcap
- Setup, manage and administer mobile data collection using REDcap
- Collect data on Mobile devices using the REDcap mobile app
- Collect data via instruments (forms) using a web browser
- Conduct case management using REDcap
- Manage enumerators
- Manage, visualize and analyze data on the REDCap platform
- Extract/export data from REDCap server in useful formats such as XML, CSV, JSON, and others for analysis
- Learn how to consume the REDCap API via external applications.
- Learn about other similar mobile data collection tools and technologies
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
This course will teach learners how to implement a mobile data collection survey using the REDCap platform.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to set up, implement, manage and administer mobile data collection using the REDCap platform. Additionally, learners will be exposed to other available mobile data collection platforms.
Introduction to the course
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture, their benefits, and challenges
- Introduction to common mobile-based data collection tools, techniques, and platforms.
- Introduction to the REDCap terminologies
- REDCap Best Practices
- Development vs Production mode
Survey Authoring/Digitization (instrument development)
- Field types in REDCap
- Instrument development using the Online designer
- Adding fields
- Customizing instrument fields
- Moving questions to a different instrument
- Branching logic
- Instrument development using the Data dictionary
- Downloading the data dictionary (Xls file)
- Modifying the dictionary
- Uploading the dictionary
Advanced Survey Authoring
- Testing the data entry process
- Repeating a group of questions
- Calculation fields
- Branching logic (skip logic)
- Enforcing constraints
- Select_one and select_multiple
- Matrix questions
- Preloading data into your survey forms
- Testing REDCap reports and exports
Types of REDCap projects
- Classical project
- Single-survey projects
- Longitudinal projects
- Longitudinal projects with scheduling
Case-management in REDCap (longitudinal projects)
- Assigning longitudinal arms
- Records in a longitudinal study
- Instruments in a longitudinal study
- Defining events in longitudinal projects
- Designating instruments for events in longitudinal projects
- Repeating instruments and events
- Deleting particular instances
REDCap Mobile App (online and offline data collection)
- Enabling data collection using the REDCap mobile app
- Installing and setting up the application
- App users
- User responsibilities
- Data entry
- Preloading data
- Data collection using REDCap mobile app (offline and online)
- Getting blank forms from the REDCap server
- Editing saved forms
- Deleting saved forms
- Filling and submitting forms
- Data collection using a web browser (online)
- Enabling web data collection
- Sharing the web form URL
- Sending invitations to enumerators via email
Data Management and Monitoring
- Managing users and user roles
- Managing data
- Logging and audit trails
- Viewing and exporting project’s audit trail
- Filtering the audit according to activity
- Filtering the audit according to user
- Tracking data manipulation and user activity
- Case management in REDCap
- Automated quality checks
- Reviewing and correcting incoming data
- Configuring external authentication
Data export and de-identification
- Exporting data in various formats (eg xls, pdf, Stata…)
- Filtering fields for data export
- Using de-identification to prevent sensitive data from being exported
- Downloading survey data for further visualization and analysis with tools such as Stata
Advanced REDCap features
- Locking records and instruments
- Data resolution workflow
- The REDCap calendar
- Scheduling module
- Data access groups for multisite projects
Utilizing the REDCap API
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection, Analysis, And Mapping Using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ONA And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In ODK-X For Longitudinal Data Collection, Management, And Analysis
- Training Course In Installation Use And Management Of Data Using Open HDS And ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection Using CSEntry – CSPro
- Training Course In Nutrition Assessment And Survey Using ENA/ EPI INFO
- Training Course In OpenMRS
- Training Course In RapidPro
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection And Mapping For M&E And Scientists
- What is Mobile Data Collection
- What is Open Data Kit – ODK