Advances in information technology have opened exciting new avenues for how research is conducted and data collected, with huge implications to monitoring and evaluation (M&E). One of these advances is the use of Mobile Data Collection (MDC). Instead of collecting data on paper using a pen, which is then manually entered into a database for analysis, data is input into a device that is then capable of exporting directly into a centralized database for processing and analysis.
The ODK-X or rather ODK 2 Tool Suite is a new set of ODK tools that will co-exist with the existing ODK Tool Suite and is intended to address several limitations of the existing ODK 1.0 data collection workflow. This ODK generation comes with advanced features that will revolutionize mobile data collection technologies as we know them.
Notably one of the most interesting features is the ability to conduct longitudinal studies. Other features include the ability to easily customize all screens on mobile devices, flexible user-directed navigation of survey, advanced handling of repeat groups, bi-directional synchronization of data across devices, advanced data curation and visualization on the device, and row-level access filters.
This training will equip the participants with skills to author, field, and manage mobile data collection platforms using ODK.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for people anyone with an interest in mobile data collection technologies and everyone working in:
Impact Evaluation, Monitoring, and Evaluation, Academic Research, Market Research, Field Research, Agriculture, Health, Education, WASH, Handicapped, Human rights, Emergencies/disasters, Advocacy, Education, Environment, Small business development, Community development, Rural Development, Women, Youth, Population, Rehabilitation, Culture, Capacity Building, Appropriate technology, Income, generation, Private sector, Refugees/displaced.
- Prior knowledge in ODK is an added advantage but not mandatory.
- Participants should be proficient in English.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Design, setup, and conduct a longitudinal study.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Application Designer.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Survey.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Tables.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Services
- Install, configure and work with ODK Scan.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Aggregate.
- Install, configure and work with ODK Suitcase.
ODK 1.0 Refresher
- Scripting a form definition in XLSX
- ODK Aggregate walkthrough
- Data visualization
- ODK Briefcase
- Exporting to external systems
Getting started with ODK-X
- What is a longitudinal survey?
- Skills required to build a data management application
- ODK Data Management Applications overview
- Joining a device to an existing aggregate server
- Sample application
Deep dive into ODK-X Tools:: Mobile Tools
ODK Survey is an Android application for performing data collection in the ODK-X framework.
- Opening and navigating a form
- Saving and viewing form instances
- Forms and Data Synchronization
- Form Development Environment setup
- Managing ODK Survey
- Setting up a form development environment
- Designing forms
- Launching the form
ODK Tables is a program that allows you to visualize and update existing data.
- Custom home screen
- Table Manager
- Viewing data
- Creating and editing data
- Data synchronization
- Managing ODK Tables
- Setting up a form development environment
- Adding tables
- Creating customized web views
- Configuring an app at startup
ODK Services is a program that handles database access, file access, and data synchronization services between all the ODK-X applications.
- Initial server configuration
- Authenticating users
- Synchronization and resolving sync conflicts
- Device and tablet settings
- Managing ODK Tables
- Server configuration
- Resetting the app server
- Administration settings
- Resetting configuration
ODK Scan is an Android application that uses the device’s camera and specialized code to automatically digitize written data from paper forms.
NB: It is currently at the Beta stage, which means it does not have all features but is not likely to have significant reductions or alterations in functionality.
- Scanning forms
- Viewing, verifying, and editing data
- Managing ODK Scan
ODK Application Designer
ODK Application Designer is a tool to help you design data management applications on top of the ODK-X framework. It works in conjunction with Excel or OpenOffice for form design, the Chrome browser for rendering, and your favorite editor for template design.
- Installing and launching the application designer
- The directory structure
- ODK XLSX Converter
- ODK Scan Form Designer
ODK Cloud Endpoints
ODK Cloud Endpoints are servers that communicate with the ODK-X Android applications. They implement the ODK-X REST Protocol.
- ODK Sync Endpoint
- ODK Aggregate Tables Extension
ODK Suitcase is a cross-platform tool that provides access to data on an ODK Cloud Endpoint from a personal computer.
- Graphical Interface
- Command Line Interface
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 150,000.00 or USD 2,200.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch, and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to email@example.com
Payment for all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox
- Online, Self-paced, eLearning Training Course in Mobile Data Collection using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection, Analysis, And Mapping Using ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ONA And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK And KoBoToolbox
- Training Course In Installation Use And Management Of Data Using Open HDS And ODK
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection Using CSEntry – CSPro
- Training Course In Nutrition Assessment And Survey Using ENA/ EPI INFO
- Training Course In OpenMRS
- Training Course In RapidPro
- Training Course In Survey Data Collection Using REDCap
- Training Course In Mobile Data Collection And Mapping For M&E And Scientists
- What is Mobile Data Collection
- What is Open Data Kit – ODK