End Date: March 26, 2021
Starts in: 13 Days
Event Location: Nairobi
Training Fees: USD 1,276.00
See Future Events: Data Science and Analytics,Mobile Data Collection,Data Analysis,Data Visualization,Data Science,SurveyCTO
SurveyCTO is a set of tools that are used for field data collection either online and offline using android devices (phones and tablets) or web browsers and allows data submission to an online cloud server. These tools include SurveyCTO Server, XLSForms, SurveyCTO Sync, SurveyCTO Collect for mobile (android) data collection and SurveyCTO web based data collection for online data collection using a web browser.
SurveyCTO is part of a large collection of mobile data collection tools that were inspired by the ODK Open Rosa Consortium. ODK tools include ODK Collect, ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate and ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers and the ODK Sensor Framework.
Other mobile data collection tools that were inspired by the ODK ecosystem include but are not limited to: Kobo tool box which is also free and open source, Ona.io and Magpi which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will teach learners how to author surveys, about field mobile data collection applications, and how to submit data to an online SurveyCTO server. The other mobile data collection tools available will be mentioned as well.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with an additional GIS module to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for people who want to learn how to:
- Learn and apply best practices in mobile data collection setup and administration
- Setup an account in SurveyCTO
- Get familiar with the SurveyCTO platform
- Author/Digitize surveys using SurveyCTO
- Setup, manage and administer mobile data collection system in SurveyCTO
- Collect data on Mobile devices using the SurveyCTO Collect
- Collect data using surveyCTO using a web browser
- Conduct case management using surveyCTO
- Manage enumerators
- Collect Geo data and develop maps using QGIS
- Manage, visualize and analyze data on the SurveyCTO platform
- Extract/export data from SurveyCTO server in useful formats such as KML, csv, Json and others for analysis
- Learn how to consume the SurveyCTO API via external applications.
- Learn about other similar mobile data collection tools and technologies
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
This course will teach learners how to implement a mobile data collection survey using the SurveyCTO platform.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to setup, implement, manage and administer mobile data collection using the SurveyCTO platform and develop maps using QGIS. Additionally, learners will be exposed to other available mobile data collection platforms.
Introduction to the course
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Introduction to common mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platform.
- Benefits of mobile data collection.
- Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
- Best Practices.
- Field types in surveyCTO
- Survey authoring using surveyCTO online form builder
- Survey authoring using spreadsheet software applications
- Downloading form definition from surveyCTO
- Editing the form definitions using spreadsheet software (eg. MS Excel)
- Uploading xls forms to surveyCTO server console
- Testing forms
Advanced Survey Authoring
- Geo data
- Repeating a group of questions
- Skip logic (relevance)
- Enforcing constraints
- Select_one and select_multiple
- Preloading data into your survey forms
- Data collection using android devices (phones and tablets)
- Installing and configuring surveyCTO Collect
- Getting blank forms from surveyCTO server
- Editing saved forms
- Deleting saved forms
- Filling and submitting finalized forms
- Data collection using a web browser
- Enabling web data collection
- Sharing the web form URL
- Disabling anonymous access to the webform
Data Management and Monitoring
- Managing users and user roles
- Managing internal support queries
- Managing data
- Monitoring incoming data
- Case management in surveyCTO
- Using Data Explorer to monitor incoming data
- Automated quality checks
- Reviewing and correcting incoming data
- Configuring external authentication
- Backing up surveyCTO data
Exporting, exploring, and publishing data
- Using Data Explorer to generate summaries
- Exporting data using SurveyCTO sync
- Downloading survey data for further visualization and analysis with tools such as Stata
- Downloading and installing surveyCTO sync
- Configuring surveyCTO sync
- Using SurveyCTO Sync to export data
- Google Drive integration
- Streaming data to Google Sheets
Publishing data to the cloud
- Publishing to Google Sheets
- Publishing to Google Fusion Tables
- Publishing to Zapier
- Publishing to other systems via webhooks
Advanced publishing with datasets
- Introduction to advanced dataset usage
- Publishing form data into server datasets
- Publishing server datasets to the cloud
- Monitoring server datasets for data quality
- Automated integrations
- Google Sheets
- Develop your own integrations
- REST API
GIS and QGIS
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using their own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.