End Date: March 24, 2021
Starts in: 6 Days
Event Location: Nairobi
Training Fees: USD 2,552.00
See Future Events: Data Science and Analytics,Mobile Data Collection,Data Analysis,Data Visualization,Data Science,QGIS,ODK,Tableau,PowerBI,OpenStreetMap,ODK-X
Data collection and management has always been an integral part of development work. This course covers the whole ecosystem around data from data collection, visualization, and mapping.
ODK or Open Data Kit
ODK or Open Data Kit is a set of free and open-source tools that are used for field data collection using Android mobile phones (Devices) and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. The ODK – Open Data Kit ecosystem includes the following components: ODK Collect, ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate, and ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers and the ODK Sensor Framework.
Tableau is a powerful and fastest growing data visualization tool used in the Business Intelligence Industry. It helps in simplifying raw data into the very easily understandable format. Data analysis is very fast with Tableau and the visualizations created are in the form of dashboards and worksheets. The great thing about Tableau software is that it doesn’t require any technical or any kind of programming skills to operate.
Power BI is a business analytics service by Microsoft. It aims to provide interactive visualizations and business intelligence capabilities with an interface simple enough for end users to create their own reports and dashboards. We all live in a data culture where business decisions should be based on facts, not opinions. Power BI can help make your job easier and more effective at the same time by converting all that data into charts and graphs to help you visualize your data in meaningful ways.
OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free editable map and a free geographic database of the world. Its aim is to eventually have a record of every single geographic feature on the planet. While it started with mapping streets, it has gone far beyond that to include physical geography features such as footpaths, buildings, waterways, pipelines, woodland, beaches e.t.c and administrative boundaries. OpenStreetMap’s data is free to use by anyone, for any purpose. It is released under a license that allows you to copy, change, and redistribute the data.
This is the most comprehensive course as it cuts across all angles from Data Collection, Visualization to Mapping therefore if you looking to learn how to collect, visualize, analyze and map data, this training course is for you.
This course is suitable for people working in :
Impact Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, Academic Research, Market Research, Field Research, Agriculture, Health, Education, WASH, Handicapped, Human rights, Emergencies/disasters, Advocacy, Education, Environment, Small business development, Community development, Rural development, Women, Youth, Population, Rehabilitation, Culture, Capacity Building, Appropriate technology, Income, generation, Private sector, Refugees/displaced.
Who should attend
This training course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to collect and manage project data using mobile devices and Open Data Kit – ODK tools.
- Proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
- Prior knowledge in ODK is essential
Topics to be covered
- ODK Collect
- ODK Build
- ODK aggregate installation on a Virtual Private Server (VPS)
- Analyze and Export Data in Aggregate
- ODK Central
- ODK Manage
- Importing survey data into statistical applications
- Data analysis in Excel
- Data Visualization using Tableau
- Data Visualization using Power Bi
- Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing
Introduction to the course
- ICT refresher
- Mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platforms
- ODK ecosystem
- ODK XLSForm syntax for survey authoring
Connecting ODK Collect to the Server
- Connecting to your own Aggregate Server
- Connecting to a Google Drive Account
Collect Menus, Settings and Security Explained
- Main Menu
- General Settings
- Admin Settings
Using Offline Maps
- Offline Maps Overview
- Getting Map Tile Sets
- Transferring offline tilesets to devices
- Selecting offline tilesets
Advanced Use and Best Practices
- Android Debug Bridge with Collect
- Improving Location Performance
- Projecting ODK to another Screen
ODK Aggregate Installation
- Installation on Digital Ocean(Recommended)
- Installation on Tomcat
- Installation on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Installation on Google Cloud
- Installation on Microsoft Azure
- Installation a Virtual Machine
Backing Up ODK Aggregate
- Backup Forms and Restore them
- PostgreSQL Backup and Restore
- MySQL Backup and Restore
Data Submissions in Aggregate
- Filtering Submissions
- Visualizing Submissions
- Exporting Submissions
- Publishing Submissions
- Using Google Earth to visualize geographic data
Administering ODK Aggregate
- Permissions Explained
- Preferences Explained (Google APIs and Enketo Configuration)
- Pull and push forms from ODK Servers
- Export Data from forms
- Decrypt encrypted forms
- Backup forms
- Working both with command line and offline
- Using the Sandbox
- Installing ODK Central on Digital Ocean
- Configuring DKIM
- Using custom mail server
- Using custom SSL Certificate
- Command Line Tools
- User accounts and management
- Role-based user permissioning
- Organize users, permissions, and forms
- Form and submission upload and management
- Automatic, encrypted off-site data backups to Google Drive
- REST API for integration and extensibility
- XLSForm Online
- XLSForm Offline
Form Operators and Functions
Logging Enumerator Behaviour
Launching External Apps
Data visualization using Tableau
- Connecting to data
- Visual Analytics
- Dashboards and Stories
- Mappings and Scatter Plots
- Understanding Aggregation, Granularity, and Filters
- Joining and Blending Data
Integrating ODK Aggregate to Power Bi
- Interactive Visualizations
- Creating Dashboards
- Creating Reports
- OpenStreetMap Interface
- Search and Direction
- Map Key and Map Share
- Map Note and Query Feature
- OSM Basemap and Plugins
- QGIS with OpenStreetMap
- OSM Map Download for a Particular Area
- Exporting OSM File to a Shapefile
- OpenStreetMap and Web Mapping
The instructor-led training is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 150,000.00 or USD 2,200.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.